Hey, let’s have a conversation about a topic that’s near and dear to my heart: the incredible power of community and how it has transformed the lives of military spouses like me. Life as a military spouse can be challenging, but it’s also filled with resilience, strength, and a sense of togetherness. YOUR community is out there waiting to embrace you with open arms. Let us help you find it. And because it’s me I’m going to BE REAL with YOU. Everyone you meet isn’t meant to be part of YOUR community, and that is ok. But don’t miss the opportunity to make supportive and life-lasting bonds on your adventure of military spouse life. Don’t miss out on finding YOUR people.
The Importance of Community Support
Living the military spouse life comes with its unique set of challenges – frequent relocations, long deployments, and the ever-present uncertainty that military life brings. However, what keeps us going is having an incredible support system. It’s like having an extended family spread across the globe, ready to embrace you with open arms.
During our journey as military spouses, we face situations that demand courage and adaptability. And in those moments when we feel like the world might be spinning out of control we need someone we can reach out to; a friend, YOUR community.
Personal Stories of Community, Connection & Support
Let me share a few remarkable stories from military spouses wither their personal stories about Community, Connection and support within our MilSpouse community. These stories are a testament to the incredible strength that emerges when we thrive together.
Lori’s Story: When I had surgery right after my husband returned from deployment. my neighbors/friends stepped up to help watch my kids, sit with me at the hospital, and take care of me throughout the day and night. They decorated my house for Fall since I was unable to. They made sure I got first day of school photos and more. It was so great to know that me and my family were taken care of.
Anna’s Story: We had just PCSd to Japan when I first realized the importance of connection with my fellow military spouses. I had 2 young kids, my husband was always busy either deployed, preparing for deployment or just getting back from deployment with a very demanding job. I was far away from all family and friends that I knew. I was quick to meet new friends, make connections, and go out to explore new places. I had a bout of depression, which led me to see a therapist and get the support I needed. I could not imagine how lonely and sad I would have been there if I didn’t reach out to others, get involved and just go do things with others. So, thank you, Japan for teaching me the importance of connection with my community, pushing me to be resilient!
Angela’s Story: As a military spouse, you’re often expected to be resilient and push through hard times. Life can be challenging with frequent moves away from family and friends, your spouse being away, trying to find your way around a new city, and finding where you fit in your new community. Being able to watch the MilSpouse Conversation talk shows and attend their events allows you to feel less alone. Watching the Conversation Starters will serve as a reminder that other people have shared your struggles, and may be experiencing their own struggles at the same time. You need that sense of community to make your days a little easier and to serve as a reminder that you are not alone.
Sybil’s Story: I’ve skipped through military life and life in general like it was a field of sunflowers, always happy and free-spirited. Most things rolled off my back, PCSing and deployments didn’t phase me much because I knew how to find my community and always open to building new connections and community no matter where we went. But April 17, 2021, knocked me upside my head. I had a stroke while attending a military event. Yeah, my husband’s farewell party as we were PCSing from DC to San Diego. Military Spouses I met at previous duty stations sent cards, checked on me through my husband, and sent gift cards for meals for my kids to order food to help elevate the stress of my husband running back and forth from the hospital to home. If I’m honest, I struggled with finding community after my stroke. I struggled with a lot of things. BUT I eventually found the community I needed. It took time and it took work. But trust me, YOUR community is out there waiting for YOU.
Do you have a story about connection through community? Submit it here, and let us add it to this article to inspire and empower fellow spouses.
Tips for Finding and Building a Supportive Community
Now, you might be wondering, “How can I find and build my own supportive community?” Well, here are some tips to get you started:
- Say Hello: Say hello and flash a smile. Someone has to make the first move, so why not you?
- Reach Out: Don’t be shy! Attend military spouse events, join online forums, engage with fellow MilSpouses on social media, and connect with your local community. You never know where you’ll find your new best friend or your new “ho.” Let me explain….Well, if you want that TEA watch our talk show THEE TEA and attend our events, THEE Conversation.
- MilSpouse Conversations: One FABulous way to connect with your fellow military spouses is by participating in MilSpouse Conversations. These events and our platform is designed to create a safe and welcoming space for spouses to have REAL & RELATABLE Conversations about ALL aspects of life. By attending, you not only find valuable advice and empathy but also build lasting friendships with people who truly understand what you’re going through.
- Stay Open-Minded: Embrace the diversity within the MilSpouse community. You’ll meet people from different backgrounds, branches of the military, and walks of life. Embrace these differences as they enrich our collective experience. Join a class you never imagined joining. You might cry and cuss through it, but those friendships may be exactly what you need.
- Be a Friend: Building a community is a two-way street. Offer your support, share your experiences, and be there for others just as they are for you.
The power of community is a force to be reckoned with. Through the ups and downs of military life, we thrive together, sharing our stories of resilience and connection. So, if you’re a military spouse, know that you’re never alone, and there’s an amazing community out there ready to welcome you with open arms. Together, we’ll continue to conquer the challenges that come our way and celebrate the triumphs that make this journey truly extraordinary. THEE Conversation Starters here at MilSpouse Conversations are ready to welcome YOU into our community. Take a seat on our couch. We have a seat saved for you. And oh….BE YOUrself when you’re with us here at MilSpouse Conversations. We sure are.
Join us for our virtual and in-person events and connect with your new family, THEE Conversation Starters of MilSpouse Conversations. Subscribe to our Newsletter and NEVER miss any of the sweet Tea we are spilling.
Want to support our mission here at MilSpouse Conversations? Make a supportation and help us continue bringing much-needed, REAL & RELATABLE conversation to our military spouse community through our talk show, events, and content like this.
- Enterprise Car Rental Military Discount - September 24, 2023
- Asics Has A Military Discount - September 17, 2023
- Military Spouses Thrive Together Through The Power of Community - September 13, 2023